Chakra. It's a word that is often heard and mentioned in the spiritual community, but what does it actually mean? Chakra is a Sanskrit word that can be translated to mean "wheel." In Eastern philosophy, it is believed that there are seven main chakras in the body, and each one corresponds to a different colour, and group of gemstones.
These chakras play a huge role in our lives, affecting everything from our physical health to our spiritual well-being. In this article, we will discuss what chakras are, the 7 different colours and natural gemstones that represent them, and how these powerful notions influence our lives.
What Are Chakra Stones?
Chakra stones are gemstones that have been associated with the seven chakras in the body. Each stone is said to correspond with a certain colour and chakra. They can be used to heal emotional damage, lost energy, and spiritual imbalances. Or they can simply work as an aid in meditation. A deeper explanation of the colours and, the associated chakra stones, is found below.
What Are Chakra Pathways?
Chakra pathways are the channels through which energy flows throughout the body. The seven main chakra pathways are associated with the different colours of the rainbow, and each one is responsible for a different aspect of our health and wellbeing.
There is a lot of confusion about the difference between chakra pathways and the different coloured gemstones associated with them. People often think that there is a one-to-one correspondence between each colour and a specific chakra stone. This is not the case.
There are seven different colours associated with each chakra pathways: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These colours correspond to the seven major chakras in the human body. Each of these colours has its own unique properties, effects and associated gemstones.
Symbolic Meanings of the Chakras
Each of the seven chakras has its own symbolic meaning. Here is a brief overview:
- Root Chakra: earth, grounding, security, physical health
- Sacral Chakra: sex, pleasure, creativity, emotions
- Solar Plexus Chakra: power, confidence, self-esteem
- Heart Chakra: love, compassion, inner peace
- Throat Chakra: communication, self-expression
- Third Eye Chakra: intuition, insight, imagination
- Crown Chakra: connection to the divine, enlightenment
The stones and colours associated with each chakra can vary depending on who you talk to. However, there are some gemstones that are commonly associated with each colour.
7 Chakra Colours and Gemstones Associated to Each
The history of the seven chakra healing stones is a long and complex one. Each gorgeous stone has a different story and significance behind it. Here are a few highlights:
- The first chakra (Root Chakra Stones), located at the base of the spine, is called Muladhara. This chakra is associated with the colours red, black, and grey and the protective stone, ruby. Heavily associated to the earth, it is responsible for our physical health and vitality, as well as our basic needs and instincts. The crystal healing properties of the ruby is highly sought after. But some other gemstones that support the root chakra include: red coral, mahogany, black obsidian, bloodstone, black tourmaline, garnet, red agate, and red jasper.
- The second chakra (Sacral Chakra Stones), located in the pelvic area, is called Swadhisthana - also referred to as the sex chakra. This chakra is associated with the colours orange and copper and the stone, carnelian. It governs our creativity, sexuality, and emotions. Those looking to stimulate their carnal sides can also find support for their sacral chakras with stones such as: orange aventurine, orange calcite, peach moonstone, garnet spessartine, golden tiger eye, orange jade and stillbite.
- The third chakra (Solar Plexus Chakra Stones), located in the solar plexus, is called Manipura. This chakra is associated with the colours yellow and gold, and the stone, citrine. It rules over our willpower, energy centers, self-confidence, and sense of identity. This chakra is heavily associated with building success and wealth through handwork and determination. Those looking to harness these energies can also find support for the third chakra with stones like: topaz, heliolite, fire opal, amber, golden tiger eye, amber, and yellow calcite.
- The fourth chakra (Heart Chakra Stones), located in the heart area, is called Anahata. This chakra is associated with the colours green and pink and the stone, jade. It governs our feelings of love and compassion, as well as our ability to forgive others. This is the chakra that seeks peace and harmony with those around us. Gemstones that can support the heart chakra include: rose quartz, rhodonite, green agate, amazonite, green opal, peridot, malachite, ukanite, and green aventurine.
- The fifth chakra (Throat Chakra Stones), located at the throat, is called Vishuddha. This chakra is associated with the colours of light blue and turquoise the stone, turquoise. It governs our ability to communicate effectively, as well as our intuition, creativity, and leadership. If you are looking for ways to improve how people perceive you, or want an elevated status in your community or environment, some other stones associated with the throat chakra include: blue topaz, blue tiger eye, kyanite, amazonite, angelite, blue laca agate, blue howlite, lapi lazuli, and aquamarine.
- The sixth chakra (Third Eye Chakra Stones), located between the eyebrows, is called Ajna. This chakra is associated with the colours of dark blue and indigo and the stone, lapi lazuli. It is responsible for our intuition, mental clarity, and ability to see the big picture. Third eye chakra stones are great for people who experience: nervousness, agitation, worry, anxiety, and lack of concentration. Other third eye chakra stones include: sodalite, dark amethyst, azurite, sapphire, dumortierite, lepidolite, and purple fluorite.
- The seventh chakra (Crown Chakra Stones), located at the top of the head, is called Sahasrara. This chakra is associated with the colours violet, white, and clear and the ever popular stone of amethyst. It governs our spiritual connection to the universe and our understanding of higher consciousness. Those looking to attune themselves spiritually, or want to find their connection to a higher power on the spiritual plane, will want to surround themselves with stones like: crystal quartz, selenite, moonstone, fluorite, labradorite, lepidolite, white agate, and chevron amethyst. Being able to think abstractly, find internal bliss, and achieving enlightenment, are all supported by these gemstones.
How Chakras Influence Our Lives - Blockages and Alignments
Each of the seven chakras is responsible for different aspects of our lives. Here is a brief overview of how each chakra affects our lives:
1. Root Chakra
The first chakra is often considered when looking at healing stones; Muladhara is responsible for our spiritual healing and vitality. It governs our basic needs and instincts, as well as our survival instinct. The root chakra is found around the base of the spine and the tailbone area. Our physical identities are born from the root chakra, and thus, is meant to help us stay grounded in reality. A blocked root chakra can manifest physical ailments including: arthritis, constipation, bladder or colon problems, and insecurity about our finances or our basics needs not being met. When our root chakras are in alignment and the pathway is open, we tend to feel grounded and secure, both physically and mentally.
2. Sacral Chakra
The second chakra, Swadhisthana, is responsible for our creativity, sexuality, and emotions. It governs our ability to enjoy life and express ourselves creatively. It is located just below the bellybutton, and just above the pubic bone. A blocked sacral chakra could result in problems associated with the organs, urinary tract infections, lower back pain, and impotency. The sacral chakra is connected to our self worth and whether or not we deserve pleasure, healthy sexuality, and creative prowess. Clear your sacral chakra pathway in order to regain sexual confidence, creativity, and your own personal self worth. How you view yourself is important with the sacral chakra.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra
The third chakra, Manipura, is responsible for our willpower, self-confidence, and sense of identity. It helps us to stay focused and motivated in order to achieve our goals. Located in the upper abdomen, blockages in the third chakra often result in digestive issues, ulcers, heartburn, eating disorders, and indigestion. The solar plexus chakra is the pathway of personal power. Clearing this pathway will result in more physical energy, a feeling of personal well-being, healthy bowel movements, and the willpower to do more with your time during the day.
4. Heart Chakra
The fourth chakra, Anahata, is responsible for our feelings of love and compassion. It helps us to connect with others emotionally and empathize with their feelings. This chakra is located in the centre of the chest, just above the heart, otherwise known as the heart centre. Blocks in your heart chakra pathway can manifest as heart problems, asthma, and weight issues. Blocks do not stop there though, and are often seen in how people act. People with heart chakra blockages tend to put others before themselves, and take on victim identities. The heart chakra connects the upper and lower chakras, so when there are blocks, it can make us feel lonely, insecure, and isolated. Unblocking the heart chakra can result in self empowerment, strong blood flow, and a willingness to take care of yourself.
5. Throat Chakra
The fifth chakra, Vishuddha, is responsible for our ability to communicate effectively. It helps us to express ourselves clearly and without judgment. This chakra is of course located in the throat, one of the most important areas in your body. Any blockages in the throat chakra could mean issues with the throat and voice. Also, your teeth, gums, and mouth can all indicate blockages in this area. Blockages or misalignments of the throat chakra can also be seen in someone dominating conversations (talking over people), gossip, speaking first-thinking later, and being unable to express what is on your mind. Once alignment is found, and the throat chakra becomes unblocked, you will be able to speak and listen to others with compassion. You will also be able to feel confident when communicating because you are being true to yourself. No more lies.
6. Third Eye Chakra
The sixth chakra, Ajna, is responsible for our intuition and ability to see the big picture. It helps us to make informed decisions based on our gut instinct. This chakra pathway is located between the eyes on the forehead (third eye). Because of this chakra’s location, blockages can come up as headaches, vision issues, trouble hearing, and even trouble concentrating. You will know if someone has a blockage in their third eye chakra because they will have problems accepting reality, will seem to ‘know it all’ while having no contact with their own intuition. When the third eye chakra pathway is open and aligned, you can follow your intuition easily, while also being able to see the big picture around you.
7. Crown Chakra
The seventh chakra, Sahasrara, is responsible for our spiritual energy flow to the universe. It helps us to find meaning and purpose in life and connect with a higher power, as well as managing our intelligence. This chakra pathway is located right at the very top of the head, and links to every other chakra pathway in the body. Because of this, the crown chakra is considered the chakra of enlightenment and our connection to our own life’s purpose and spirituality. Blockages can result in narrow-mindedness, skepticism, or just being plain old stubborn. When this chakra is aligned and open, it helps support the alignment and pathways of all other chakras in the body, allowing for personal bliss and reconnection to a higher power.
Each of the seven chakras is important and plays a role in our lives. By understanding the significance of each one, we can work to keep them all in balance. This will help us to avoid negative emotions, negative energies, and to live happier, healthier, and more fulfilling lives.
Chakra Being Used in Your Favourite Anime
Chakra, and chakra crystals are often featured in anime, and watching these amazing, fictional Japanese stories can be a great way to learn more about them. Some of the most popular anime that showcases the power of chakras include: Naruto, Inuyasha, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
In the story of Naruto, the chakra system is prominently featured and is used to power many of the abilities used by the ninja in the Hidden Leaf village and beyond. Brock Lee can is shown powering up by releasing the blockages in hist chakra pathways. For Inuyasha, the main character of his story, chakra allows him to use his spiritual energies, or "soul power," to defeat his enemies. And in Avatar: The Last Airbender, characters use their respective elements (earth, water, fire, and air) to control the world around them. Ang is seen concentrating on the flow of his chakra pathways below.
All of these examples are a great way to learn about the different chakras and how they can be used in everyday life. By understanding the symbolism behind the chakra system, we can learn more about ourselves and our place in the world. And by applying this knowledge to our favourite anime characters, we can gain a deeper understanding of their stories, motivations, and why they can be strong examples of how we should live our lives.
How You Can Tap Into Your Chakra Pathways to Help You in Everyday Life
The chakra system is a great way to tap into our inner power and connect with our higher selves. By focusing on each of the seven chakras, we can work to keep them all in balance. Wearing accessories with chakra symbols, or the seven chakra colours can also help us focus on freeing these pathways in the body. All of these strategies will help us live happier, healthier lives.
Here are some simple ways that the chakra system can make our lives better during our day to day:
- If you're feeling overwhelmed or stressed, focus on your root chakra to ground yourself and regain control.
- If you need more creativity in your life, focus on your sacral chakra to unlock your inner artist.
- If you need more self-confidence, and balancing energy, focus on your solar plexus chakra to boost your confidence.
- If you're having trouble communicating effectively, focus on your throat chakra to clear your mind and speak with clarity.
- If you want to connect with your intuition, focus on your third eye chakra to access your inner wisdom.
- If you're feeling spiritually lost, focus on your crown chakra to find meaning and purpose in your life.
By tapping into our chakra system, we can connect with our inner power and achieve greater happiness and fulfillment in life. So next time you're feeling down or struggling with a problem, try using the chakra system to help you out. Find gemstones that can helm realign and clear your chakra pathways. You may be surprised at how effective these solutions can be!
- The Wicked Tender Team